Thursday, November 8, 2012

SANDY!

It has been some time since I posted here.  I have been very busy with my sewing and with the family.  I have made four quilts for my sisters and sisters-in-law for Christmas, doll clothes for my grandaughters American Girl dolls, aprons for the church fair and some cosmetic bags over the last several months.

This past week Hurricane Sandy paid us all on the East Coast a visit.  She was one nasty lady.  She left devastation in her path in NJ, NYC and on Long Island.  Breezy Point in NYC lost 111 houses to a fire during the storm that was unreachable by Fire Dept. due to flooding.  Long Beach, The Rockaways, Fire Island, Mastic Beach, Westhampton Beach, Hampton Bays are just some of the areas that had awful flooding and lots of damage here in NY.  New Jersey's east coast was just devastated in so many areas.  It has been 10 days now and people are still without power...some without homes at all.  The temperatures are dropping and it is cold out there for those without heat.  Help is coming from all over the country and God bless those that answered the call.  We had men from North Carolina work to get us our power back after 7 days without.  We were luckier than most though as we had a generator so we had lights, hot water, gas stove for cooking and a wood stove for heat.  So many have lost so much more than I could fathom.  To add insult to  injury we had a nor'easter hit us yesterday and the night before.  Winds up to 70 mph and heavy rain that turned to snow.  Some parts of NYC, NJ and western Long Island got several inches of snow on top of all the damage already sustained in Sandy.  The death toll from the storms rises every time I turn on the news.  I am counting my many blessings every day.

I am preparing for a mystery quilt again this year with Bonnie Hunter (The Scrap Quilt Queen).  This year it will be lime green, turquiose, purple, gray and white/black as background.  Sounds wild, but everything Bonnie does is just gorgeous when finished so I am going with it!  I ordered what fabric I needed and am just waiting for the first "clue".

My fibromyalgia seems to be getting worse or I am losing my tolerance for the pain.  I am now on an antidepressant that is supposed to help with fibro pain as well as depression.  It seems to help a little, but certainly doesn't take it all away.  The arthritis is also really painful this year.  I had gall bladder surgery a few months ago.  Funny thing though...I still keep having pain on my right side a lot.  Haven't a clue what it is.  Will discuss with my doctor in Dec. when I go for my regular checkup. 

Things are winding down here at work.  As I have said before, we are going out of business in December so these last two months are preparation for that.  It is very depressing here as we pack up boxes and finish off the last job we had on the books.  I still have no idea if my boss has another place for me.  He told me not to worry when he first let us know about this business closing, but that was a year ago and he hasn't said anymore to me since.  So of course I worry.  I am 60 yrs. old my next birthday and must continue working until age 66 for maximum soc. sec. benefits so I am very worried about my future.  With the economy the way it is those jobs that are out there are being grabbed up my young ones willing to take one third what I am making to do the same job.  Its going to be touch to find a job at my age.

Guess that's it for now......

No comments:

Post a Comment